England And WalesChristmas Day
Northern IrelandChristmas Day
In the United Kingdom, public holidays defined by statute are called bank holidays.
The term refers to all public holidays in the United Kingdom be they set out in statute, declared by royal proclamation or held by convention under common law.
Check UK and region wise bank holidays for 2022 and 2023.
There are eight bank holidays a year in England and Wales, nine in Scotland and ten in Northern Ireland.
- There are seven bank holidays common to all jurisdictions
- Easter Monday is a bank holiday in both England and Wales and Northern Ireland
- In Northern Ireland, Saint Patrick’s Day and Orangemen’s Day are also bank holidays
- In Scotland, 2 January and St Andrew’s Day are bank holidays
- The Summer bank holiday varies according to jurisdiction: in Scotland it is on the first Monday of August, and in the rest of the United Kingdom it is on the last Monday of August.