Saint Patrick’s Day is a public holiday in the Northern Ireland.
Saint Patrick’s Day, or the Feast of Saint Patrick is a cultural and religious celebration held on 17 March, the traditional death date of Saint Patrick, the foremost patron saint of Ireland.
- 17 March by statute if this is not a Sunday
- 18 March by statute if this is a Monday
- 19 March by proclamation if this is a Monday
Saint Patrick’s Day was made an official Christian feast day in the early 17th century and is observed by the Catholic Church, the Anglican Communion, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the Lutheran Church. The day commemorates Saint Patrick and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland, and celebrates the heritage and culture of the Irish in general. Celebrations generally involve public parades and festivals, céilís, and the wearing of green attire or shamrocks. Christians who belong to liturgical denominations also attend church services and historically the Lenten restrictions on eating and drinking alcohol were lifted for the day, which has encouraged and propagated the holiday’s tradition of alcohol consumption.
When is St Patrick's Day ?
- St Patrick's Day in 2023 is on Friday, 17-March, 2023.
- St Patrick's Day in 2022 was on Thursday, 17-March, 2022.
- St Patrick's Day in 2021 was on Wednesday, 17-March, 2021.
Check all the historical dates for St Patrick's Day in below table.
|. St Patrick's Day .|